Monday, March 03, 2008

More 29er & Singlespeed folly

In anticipation of the inaugural New Zealand Singlespeed Championship, I colour-coordinated my 9r with a matching white pair of Syncros* Fixed Flat Top bars and FL stem.
To get my hands in the same place I fitted a 1cm longer stem to compensate for the 10degree sweep of the bars.
Since I was replacing similar Syncros kit in black, I didn't achieve any measurable weight reduction, but the extra 6cm width of the Flat Top bars definitely pays off in extra control.

The other upgrade since last summer is a pair of Conti* Mountain King 29 x 2.4 tyres, which seem to stay hooked up more consistently than the original WTB Exiwolf 2.35s.
Rest assured that nothing has gone to waste. Already the old bar & stem have found a home on a midget singlespeed, assembled from found material and pro-quality cast-offs, for Kate Mullarkey to ride.
















*Disclaimer- I am deeply implicated in the importation and distribution of Continental and Syncros in New Zealand.Nothing that I write about them can be believed.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Antoine said...

Nice GT. I've done a stupid thing and entered the race as well. Too old, too unfit and my bike's too heavy but I'm looking forward to it.

12:31 AM  
Blogger David Benson said...

Antoine,
I'm looking forward to seeing you race that Pugsley.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home